Petition for postconviction relief

A person can bring a petition for post conviction to vacate a prior conviction.  If a petition for post conviction relief is granted, that person’s conviction is vacated and the person’s status essentially goes back to where it was before the case was resolved.  Typical grounds for bringing a petition for post conviction relief are that (1) the person is actually innocent of the crime of conviction; (2) newly discovered evidence; (3) that there is not a factual basis in the record supporting conviction of the crime; and (4) that the plea of guilty was not voluntary.  Petitions for post conviction relief are one of the most difficult types of matters to win.

Ms. Torgerson handles petitions for post conviction relief and has been very successful in this area.  For assistance, please call (612) 339-5073.

DISCLAIMER: Throughout this website, there are statements on various laws. Please note that this is not legal advice, and no reliance should be taken thereon, and an attorney client relationship is not established hereby. Further, please note that these legal statements may not currently be up to date, because the laws can change daily, and this website does not. Thus, you will always need to actually retain a lawyer to establish an attorney client relationship, to rely upon any advice, and to obtain up-to-date legal research. Thank you.